Just like Sweden, Germany has opened its doors to qualified foreigners who wish to move to the country for work under the Germany job seeker visa. With this new development, you can move to Germany look for work even if you don’t have an employment offer in the country yet.
This article will tell you more about the German job seeker scheme, who is eligible, how to apply for the German work visa, documents required and the best website to look for job in Germany.
See also: How to apply for Sweden Job seeker visa
What is the Germany job seeker visa?
This is a residence permit issued to foreigners that enables qualified candidates to enter Germany with the purpose of looking for work.
Why chose Germany?
Germany is a powerful and well-respected country in Europe. It is a very industrialized nation with a strong economy and a very high quality of life. Germany has a very effective public transportation system (train & bus) but one of the things that attract foreigners to Germany is the tuition free system in most Universities.
All of these things make Germany a great place to live and work. If you are able to get employment in Germany, you can apply for the E.U blue card which gives you access to more European countries beyond Germany.
Eligibility requirements for Germany Job seeker visa
- Proof of Academic or Vocational training – this means your University or Masters Degree must be equivalent to a German Degree or Diploma.
- If you are a Doctor, Nurse Healthcare professional, Lawyer or someone who works in a regulated industry, you will need to obtain a professional practice permit (or license) which gives you the legal authority to practice and bear your professional title in Germany.
- If you have a vocational training certificate, you require a proof of having the German language skills (CEFR Level B1) necessary for the job you are seeking in Germany
- Have travel or medical insurance for your stay in Germany
- Proof of funds in a blocked account or a letter of commitment from someone who is already resident in Germany.
What are the documents required for a German job seeker visa?
- A valid international passport
- As mentioned earlier, you need your Academic or Vocational qualification
- Proof of funds in the form of blocked account or declaration of financial commitment from someone in Germany
- Proof of German language competence
Other documents which include:
- Your birth certificate
- Passport photographs ( 3 different types based on biometric requirements
- Cover letter that explains the reason for your visit, how you plan to find a job and alternative career plans if you do not find a job
- Detailed CV according to German format (professionally prepared) click here if you want your CV reviewed by professionals at an affordable cost.
- Health insurance
- Proof of accommodation
- Proof of personal status in your home country (marriage certificate, land documents etc where applicable)
- Travel insurance
How long does is the validity of the German job seeker visa?
Unlike Sweden job seeker visa which has a maximum validity period of 9 months, the German job seeker visa has a maximum validity of 6 months.
Can the German job seeker visa be extended?
Unfortunately, the German job seeker visa cannot be extended. Once your German job visa has expired, you will need to leave Germany. However, you can apply for the job seeker visa again once you have spent equal amount of time outside Germany that you spent in Germany looking for a job.
How to apply for the German employment seeker visa
Visit German consulate in your country to obtain and fill the visa application form.
Fill the application form and submit, book a visa appointment, attend interview at German embassy and pay the fee.
How much is the job seeker fee?
How do I get a work permit?
Once you get a visa, you book a flight to Germany and start applying to jobs. Once you get a job, you will need to reach out to the German foreigners’ authority to apply for a residence permit or E.U Blue card. This costs approximately 100 Euros.
Note that you must apply for a residence permit before your job seeker visa expires.
What is the best website to look for job in Germany?
If you want information about the best website to look for job in Germany, please provide your best email address in the box below as we will be publishing verified jobs in Germany and you don’t want to miss this.
See also: UK healthcare worker occupation codes (full list)
If you need more information about the Germany job seeker visa, go here and if you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comment section. A member of our team will be glad to respond to you.
Sign Up for Job Alerts
Join our newsletter and get the latest job listings and career insights delivered straight to your inbox.